About the Author
Jack Mayer, MD, MPH
Jack Mayer is a pediatrician and a writer. He began practicing pediatrics in 1976 in Enosburg Falls, Vermont, a small town in eastern Franklin County on the Canadian border. His was the first pediatric practice in that half of the county. He was a country doctor there for ten years, often bartering medical care for eggs, firewood, and knitted afghans. From 1987 – 1991 Dr. Mayer was a National Cancer Institute Fellow at Columbia University researching the molecular biology of childhood cancer. Most of his scientific writing was done during those four years. He was also an academic pediatrician at Columbia University’s Presbyterian Medical Center.
Dr. Mayer returned to Vermont in 1991 and established Rainbow Pediatrics in Middlebury, Vermont where he continues to practice primary care pediatrics. He is an Instructor in Pediatrics at the University of Vermont School of Medicine and an advisor for pre-medical students at Middlebury College.
Throughout his career, Dr. Mayer has written short stories, poems, and essays about his years in pediatric practice and hiking The Long Trail in Vermont. He was a participant at Middlebury College’s Bread Loaf Writers’ Conference in 2003 and 2005 for fiction, and in 2008 for poetry. LIFE IN A JAR: The Irena Sendler Project is his first book of non-fiction. He recently completed his first novel, BEFORE THE COURT OF HEAVEN.
He lives in Middlebury, Vermont.
Book Awards: LIFE IN A JAR: The Irena Sendler Project
- 2015 - First Horizon Award - Non-fiction (Eric Hoffer Book Award)
- 2015 - Mom’s Choice Award – Gold Medal - Young Adult
- 2015 – IPNE (Independent Book Publishers of New England) Book Award - Winner – Book presentation and marketing
- 2014 - Readers’ Favorite Book Award – Gold Medal - Education
- 2014 - Benjamin Franklin Digital Award – Silver Honoree
- 2014 - Shelf Unbound Notable Book
- 2012 - IndieReader Discovery Award - Biography
- 2011 - Kansas Notable Book Award
- 2011 - da Vinci Eye (Eric Hoffer Book Award)
Book Awards: BEFORE THE COURT OF HEAVEN
- 2016 IndieReader Discovery Award – 1st Place - Fiction
- 2015 Nautilus Book Award Winner – Fiction – Silver medal
- 2016 Finalist – Grand Prize (Eric Hoffer Award) – Fiction
- 2016 First Horizon Award (Eric Hoffer Award) Finalist – Fiction
- 2016 Honorable Mention (Eric Hoffer Award) – Commercial Fiction
- 2015 Foreword Reviews INDIEFAB Book of the Year Award Finalist – Historical Fiction
- 2015 Mom’s Choice Award - Gold Medal – Historical Fiction
- 2015 Pinnacle Book Achievement Award - Best Novel
- 2015 Beverly Hills Book Awards – Finalist – “Faction” - fiction based on true stories.
- A Best Indie Book of 2015 – IndieReader (5-stars)
- Shelf Unbound – Notable Indie – 2015 Best Indie Books.